Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thanks, Jane

Everyone knows that the best teachers aren't the easy ones. The best teachers aren't necessarily the hard ones, either. They can be easy or hard, but the point is that the best teachers are the ones who you feel the caring that they have for the subject and for those they are teaching. And, you learn more when you have those teachers. And your GPA usually doesn't suffer if you are a responsible student. Those who are teachers for the right reasons generally get as much out of their career as the students get out of their class. It's a win-win.


We need more real teachers in the world.


I just got through taking a class from a real teacher. Her name is Jane Bush. I love her to death. She is one of those real teachers who wants you to be better. She taught me watercolor this semester, and I have seen so much improvement I cannot even believe it. She cares about her students. And she is adjunct. which means that she is getting pushed out of her job by "real" professors, who are there for the wrong reasons. She is in her 60's, but she's sharp, on-the-ball, and is just amazing. But because she's older and adjunct, she's losing classes. And it's a complete shame. Shame on the University. Shame on the Art Department. Shame. They are completely, utterly, and purposefully shutting her out. Discrimination because of age. Sad. It makes me sick.


But, maybe it's because I'm a little sad today anyway. It was the last day of class. And probably the last of Jane's classes. I am just so grateful that once in a great while I get to experience the amazing opportunity of having a real teacher. Thanks, Jane! http://janepaint.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment